Detroit, Michigan
11.7K views

1. Do we make fun of some of your purchases? Yes. Yes we do.

2. Want to get us angry? Ask for paper in plastic. We make it as heavy as possible.

3. When you have an extremely full cart, I will go get another one for you. This is to shorten your wait. I have never once been thanked.

4. If you are 65 or older, and drive a car as old as you, you give me a better tip for helping unload your groceries than the 25 year old in the 2011 Audi who asked me to help them unload because they took up two carts. Why is that?

5. No, I can't get you your cigarettes.

6. We close at 5 on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. Deal with it.

7. Our least favorite days of the year? The day before and of major holidays. Our favorite? The day after.

8. Please don't get mad at me when you see I bagged everything in plastic when you had reusable bags. As soon as you get in line, give them to me.

9. If I'm getting carts from outside, and I have 6-8 large carts, and am struggling with them, please don't give me a small cart.

Comments

PRESIDENT TRUMP IS TRYING TO "MAKE AMERICA HATE AGAIN!"

he is a total moron.

@Anonymous

Seriously only hate I see is you.

#1801989
@Anonymous

It's the Democrats who are guilty of poisonous hatred. Drop the allcapital letter format and stop your written screaming, please. Your constant wailing, screaming, and cowardice in the face of the enemy are unbecoming.

Hello. I am a current front end employee for Kroger.

I love in a different state than Michigan, however I was told most Kroger stores operate similarly. I cannot speak for some of the Kroger employees in Michigan in regards to rudeness. However, I will be able to explain some of the things you have mentioned here. The bagger will get another cart once your first cart is full because nothing else will safely fit into the cart.

An overflowing cart poses as a safety hazard to you and everyone around you, because it is likely that your groceries will fall out of the cart. We get another cart to stop that from happening. Also, we ask everyone that might potentially need help with their groceries if they need help out to their car. As I have said earlier, I cannot speak for employees in Michigan, but where I live, we are not looking for tips.

We truly want to give the customers as great of an experience as possible. As the motto says, "Feed the Human Spirit." Also, you are correct about the cigarettes. The bagger is supposed to be the one to grab the cigarettes from customer service. However, that can prove difficult sometimes, like if the customer has many groceries that need to be bagged as quickly as possible.

I understand you want to get in and out, but sometimes waiting is inevitable. I also understand completely that closing at 5 on the major holidays is inconvenient. However, that is only because the Kroger store will most likely not have enough employees working at the time to keep the store functioning properly. Many of the people who work there are home with their families.

I am sad to say that you are also correct about the least favorite days of the year. However, that is not always because we hate customers or our job. It is simply because most of the time we are understaffed, and many, many customers are picking up last minute groceries. We get frustrated because there aren't enough of us to help the customers in a reasonable amount of time.

I am both a cashier and a bagger. I do a bit of both. And I know that several of our customers bring in there own bags. Most of us do not purposely bag everything in plastic.

We don't know that you have your own bags if we don't see them, or if you don't tell us you do. I am not putting any blame on you, I am just explaining we don't always know.

I hope this has clear some things up with you. Have a nice day.

Will they let you know if you are losing your drawers?

@Anonymous

Now that's what a call a "Full Moon".

I worked at Krogers for clicklist. It just opened a year before so I thought they’d have at least some common sense.

But no, we worked in no a/c all summer with 2 tiny fans, mind you I live in the south and the most humid city in America. Most the afternoons I’d be carrying 65lbs crates of groceries non-stop to cars, and some times the people would order $650 in stuff so that backed us up for hours. Once when we got backed up terribly due to 1 person who couldn’t pick groceries fast enough, getting cursed out I don’t care, I still worked my *** off and did it with a smile. After my first 3 weeks of being the only person bringing out large grocery orders I ended up straining my lower back bad enough we’re I couldn’t literally get up for 3 days and had to get a chiropractor recommended from a doctor.

But hey Krogers didn’t care. From then on I couldn’t move nearly as quickly as before. Also Krogers has no doubt the most idiotic group of individuals in management. I asked for 1 day off 2 months in advance to go to a concert my girlfriend and I planned for months.

It got approved until the day before the took it out the system and “forgot” about it. So I got flagged or whatever they call it. All in all Krogers did pay me $8.25 hr then the union forced them in a lawsuit to raise it to $9.25 hr for all employees. So that was great and got payed every week.

Though they tried to scam me out of money and my hours due to me being a minor when I got hired.

But yea I did bagging for 1 hour and it was a nightmare, wasn’t strenuous but just chaotic, granted where I live 75% of people have an iq lower than 110. And surprisingly the red necks are the nicest people in the world there by far!!!

@Anonymous

Also I didn’t join the union.

@Anonymous

Also the management constantly changed my schedule to working 40 hour weeks during my college semesters even though I put down part time and could only work 15-20 hrs a week. But Krogers kept “forgetting” and kept trying to sneak in more days than I could afford.

This made it incredibly inconvenient to go to school and work there. It worked out when they changed it to what I said I could work but I ended up leaving because they kept changing the schedule so I’d work whenever they’d want me or I get flagged.

So yea they are, at least at the store I worked at, extremely rude management. If customers were rude I usually understood why and tried to make it up to them but that only goes so far lol

I NO TELL YOU HAD VISITOR FOR TEN DOLLAR!

To the employees who want to publicise rants and greivances about their job and the "customers that make their life miserable."

1) Nobody is forcing you to work for Kroger or any other employer, for that matter.

2) All work scenarios include unpleasant aspects and we all have to deal with them. If we didn't, none of us would have a job.

I can't think of a job that only involves the agreeable elements.

3) Without customers, you wouldn't have a job. Businesses simply don't succeed without customers. It is inevitably part of your to find a way to handle unpleasant aspects of dealing with customers, and no one else's.

4) There are jobs, many, many, that are vastly more unpleasant than bagging groceries.

There are much more difficult and much higher paying jobs than bagging groceries—some paying much more and requiring significant skills. Those with these jobs likely had to learn skills at worse jobs in order to handle their current occupation. It's called "paying your dues," and we all have to do it.

5) Please examine, with complete honesty, why you work as a grocery bagger at Kroger. There are plenty of people who wish they had such a stress-free job, but can't afford such a luxury—like waiting tables, for example.

They make about $2.10 hr plus tips, which are entirely dependent upon their ability to handle nasty customers and bosses in bad working conditions. 6) Your complaints sound incredibly petty and superfluous—give me a break. Are customers sexually harassing you? Do you have to remain pleasant to customers/coworkers who insult you, use derogatory language or physically threaten you?

Has a supervisor forced you to clean up *** and spongebathe a customer as retribution for deflecting inappropriate advances? No? You've got a dream job. 7) If you can't handle having to put paper bags inside plastic bags upon request, without getting bent out of shape your going to struggle all your life.

Your job is one often handled like pros, with pride and expertise, by members of the learning disability community, across America who smile the entire time. what exactly is your dysfunction? 8) If you cannot handle any job, as if your behavior and resilience to deal with sometimes difficult scenarios on occasion, with the knowledge you make it or break it by each and every interaction, you aren't operating in the best interest of your employer and have no business at that business. Do everyone a favor and leave the opening for a more deserving and ambitious employee.

Now! 9) You might benefit by observing people thankful to with at any job in America. Those ego are lucky enough to have immigrated from another country where jobs she opportunity were very rare, and education very very difficult to get. Notice their smile, attitude and willingness to excel—even at jobs like bagging groceries.

Get to know on be off these people. You'll likely be very surprised to learn they may have been a surgeon, company president or school principal in the country they left to come to America. Why are they so cheerful as a dishwasher or grocery bagger?

Ask them, you'll be surprised and hopefully for your own benefit, consider yourself exceptionally lucky to be on the receiving end of such wisdom. Cherish the moment.

By the way, in addition to what I just now posted. I work a much, much better job now, where I make at least 15 BUCKS AN HOUR A LOT EVEN MORE THAN WHAT I USED TO MAKE AT KROGER!!!

I get a lot of GREAT BENEFITS where I am currently working that I never got working in the grocery business!!! I could certainly see some people liking Kroger, but I don't feel the least bit bad about not doing well with that job, because I understand it's not for everybody.

I worked at a Kroger here in Louisville, Kentucky, for 9 years. It was really so hard on me that I had to leave.There were a lot of things I had a very hard time handling, but the thing that was the hardest on me was that per the "union contract" you absolutely HAD to be available to work both NIGHTS and WEEKENDS as well as holidays.

I know everybody's different, but I personally like the kind of employment which is strictly weekday work shifts and that only. Having to work a lot of Saturdays and Sundays interferes with other activities that I like to be spending that time doing.

I don't like the kind of work schedule that constantly fluctuates all the time. I tried to get them to listen about this, and they wouldn't budge about it, one of the reasons I left, although I'm pretty sure it's not the store management's decision, it's a union thing.

The pay is horrible in Texas $7.65 when they make millions. Poor older people they take advantage of all the time who work very hard and all they pay them is $7.65 wich is below poverty level.

They are a disgusting Company that every customer should know how they treat our older generation. They are only trying to make ends meet and have food to eat SHAME ON YOU KROGER

Arnie

1. Who cares if you make fun?

I certainly don't. Make fun all you want, your opinion doesn't matter to me.

2. I've never asked for paper in plastic, so if one or two customers ever ask you, by all means make their shopping trip more miserable by making their bags heavy (nice attitude).

3. I always say please and thank you, and I would thank you for getting me an extra cart.

So for those who haven't, THANK YOU.

4. Most older customers know what it is to work, and appreciate your help, and thus tip better. While most young people are spoiled, self-entitled beings who don't know what hard work is, and thus are cheap. (since you like to generalize)

I've never smoked, so no worries with me. You're welcome.

6 & 7. I don't shop on Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, the day before Christmas, Christmas day, nor the day after Christmas, so again no worries with me. You're welcome.

8. I bring reusable bags and help the bagger bag the items. It's the least I can do. You're welcome.

9. I return carts to their rightful place inside the store or at the cart returns. I also have helped the cart retriever with carts. You're welcome.

I hope this has helped you clear some things up. If you don't like your job, then I suggest you get one you do like.

No sense in being miserable your entire life. Lesson learned.

@Arnie

Exactly . I normally tip if I can , and sometimes too much .

Also it's not fun to have heavy bags that break and you can't lift them .

Also the ones that make fun are insecure brats . You really shouldn't treat people like that because you don't know if that's their last day alive or not

#1208000

Amen brother I work at a local convenient store and this happens to me all the time

Andrea

Here is one: if you bring a cart inside with you, take that mother trucker back out. I never understand why people can bring a *** cart inside the store but refuse to take it back out.

You have to walk right by the *** cart drop.

Also, STOP YOUR CART ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE AISLE YOU ARE SHOPPING ON FOR GOD'S SAKE. You are RUDE as *** when you take up the entire aisle so no one can get around you.

Enjoy slaving away on minimum wage for the rest of your life. That's what you get for not paying attention in school, kiddo!

Kroger Reviews