4.6K views

Went to Kroger Friday night to get snacks and booze for the night.I am 26, my friend is 25 and I had my two 20 y/o sisters with me.

All things were ready and we proceeded to four individual UScans, as we were all buying our own things. I had a 12 pack and my friend had 2 24 oz Guinness. Almost immediately, the young clerk asks for EVERYONE'S IDS. Even the ones not purchasing alcohol.

I had no problem showing mine, as well as my friend's as we were of age. However, my sisters are 20 and did not purchase any alcohol. The clerk proceeds to be *** about it all after I asked her why we had to show everyone's IDs instead of just the two of us purchasing alcohol. She stated we looked younger than 21 (mind you this girl looked about 17-18) and needed to card us.

I have my ABC card as i'm a cashier at another grocery store, and I know that this isn't a state law. You only need to see the purchaser's ID. I can understand in liquor stores and dry counties, but this is 2012 and i'm 26 and I can purchase alcohol like any other adult. Since my sisters are 20, we were declined the sale after I tried to ask the clerk what exactly was the problem?

She couldn't answer me. Meanwhile, my sister is buying something and used Kroger's pharmacy dollars they give you for transferring your Rx's from other stores. When I went to use the same $$ on my $13.00 purchase, it didn't work and so I asked the clerk for help. She said there was no money left on my account, when I assured her there was $25 on there minus the $6 my sister used.

Irritated myself, and the clerk was obviously annoyed because I had given her some resistance about the alcohol (which was a 12 pack, that's it) we reached no solution. She just kind of shrugged and I paid on my debit because at this point I was irritated, embarrassed and just wanted the whole experience to end! The next day I wrote a customer complaint to their corporate office and received a response today which was less than satisfactory. It basically seemed to miss my whole point and only reiterated the policy of checking an ID while purchasing alcohol.

Well, DUH I didn't have a problem with that! I had a problem with her thinking just because I walked in with my sisters that I was no allowed to purchase the alcohol because I was with someone under aged when that is not the law, nor had any other Kroger (including that one) ever ask for a whole group's IDs even if they were on separate registers. It was a very watered down response and didn't solve anything! In fact, they just told me they wished my next visit would be better, after I told them I'm not coming back!

If you look at my Kroger card on the Iphone app, you can see I shop at Kroger almost every day, sometimes twice in one day. I usually purchase my alcohol there and ya know, both of my sisters who are 20 don't even live here, they were home from College for the weekend!

I really shouldn't have to prove my case, basically I was declined a sale for no reason, simply because some clerk wanted to feel powerful.The customer service email was just salt on the wound and I won't stop until I get answers!

Had an Experience with Kroger?

Comments

Cordova, Tennessee, United States #1349874

I'm 56.I look 56.

I got carded at Kroger today. That's fine, I understand, I have no problem.

My drivers license is behind a clear plastic window in my wallet, but easily visible, as it is designed to be. Not good enough, cashier was insistent that they hold the I.D., and only the I.D., in their hand.

That is not a state law, I checked, I'm only required to show them my I.D. Did this *** think I was a 20 y.o.

trying to use a fake I.D.to pass myself of as 56?

The corporations own you, you're just not aware of it.

Torrance, California, United States #1198847

I TOTALLY agree with you that Kroger is unecessarily overly strict with their Age-Verification procedures.Mind you, I said procedures, not policies.

It's not the policies that have been out into place that I have s provlem with. It's the procedures that are executed in otder to carry out adheranxe to such pilicies that ihave a problem with. Just like in your case, you had no problem with the policies, and completely understood then, you only had a problem with the fact that she tried to card those not buying alcohol and denied your sale based on that. In my state of CA, it's Ralphs whom I had an unacceptable shopping experience with, so much so, that after 30 years, I will no longer shop there.

It seems they only act like complete *** when Management is there that's when you will get the cashiers asking everyone for their ID, in a loud voice, making sure that management hears them a sing for ID, thus, adhering to company policies. I take that back it seems that the age verification process is quite biased. I'm sure that you if you are a Caucasian male or female that didn't "look under 40," there would be no question for an ID.

In my case, I went to purchase alcohol, a cashier that I have known for over a decade was at the register, and under normal circumstances, she would have just rung me up, no questions asked, & I would have been on my way.

However. because Management was there that day, she had to ask me for my ID, which I told her...

And I only ask for ID ONCE. I will not ask you the next time you come in.

That's just common sense.I want considered applying at Ralphs, but after my experience and hearing of more experiences similar to mine, I will NEVER consider working for Ralphs (Kroger), and I will NEVER shop there, at that store or ANY Ralphs/Kroger store & their affiliates, EVERY AGAIN!!

#1119623

Krogers is the state liquor store.I have a problem with people like you who want every body else to risk their job and going to court and jail etc just because you don't want a hassle.

Would you do the same if you were that cashier? Would you check only one ID and risk your job etc? Don't you think it looks pretty suspisous when you and a friend are there buying a 24 pk and a twelve pk? Your sister sister is with you?

Looks like a bigparty to me.

Spring Valley, Nevada, United States #1119617

Just because you wanted alcohol doesn't mean that person should jeopardise their job and risk getting fined or having a felony on their records.If something happened to your sisters like if they stole or drank a few of your beers and something happened, that would come back on the clerk and the store!

It is law .It is also a policy in several retail stores.

Spoiled brat. like, OMG!

Get over it, man.

One more thing, the OP needs to get his facts straight and stop lying.He does not work in a store that sells alcohol, if he did he would buy his booze from there, he cannot because they know he is under the legal drinking age, being under the legal drinking age he cannot even sell alcohol.

If he really sold alcohol he would know that by law they are required to ask the whole group for ID because there are people who go and buy alcohol for underaged children like himself and that is why everyone in the group is REQUIRED BY LAW to show their ID.It is to prevent underaged drinking.

Orange, California, United States #1038359

They could have declined your alcohol sale for two other reason's they thought you were already drunk based on your behavior, and or thought you had fake ID and were way under the drinking age.

I am sure the girl was a woman and older than you. Age can be deceiving, for instance you claim to be 26 but from your behavior I would have thought that you were five years old.

to KevinRichards Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, United States #1038377

And from your own behavior, we can deduce that you are about 10 years with a severe mental handicap.You should not be allowed to post on this site, as it is intended for adults.

I'd like to know what group home you reside in, that you are allowed to play on the internet, unsupervised.BTW: in case no one else has told you today Kevin (and I know you hear it a lot), YOU ARE A WORTHLESS TURD!